This is a suggestion for Emergency Preparedness Coordinators or leaders to do within wards or neighborhoods. You can follow this outline or use bits and pieces to create your own custom Pandemic Flu Activity.
Title: Pandemic Flu & You
Purpose: To provide background information about the pandemic flu and get people prepared for a pandemic by providing handouts and possibly even a small starter kit.
Information: Read over then share some key points found in the following document from the CDC. Just 6 Pages.
Videos: Show a short video during the class. The one on the bottom of the page in the link is only 28 min. Pandemic Flu Videos
Map: Print and show the following map of how the current pandemic is spreading. Map found on WHO.int Click the image below to save the PDF map and print it.
Pandemic Flu Starter Kit:
Have these items on display or make the kits and have them for sale. To make the kits, you’ll need to price out these items from your local super stores or dollar stores then have a sign up sheet going around which people can sign up to purchase the kits from you. Everyone can come and listen to the mini class and at the end everyone can put the kits together. Kits could include the following items…
- Alcohol-based hand cleaners
- Face mask/respirator (N95 or better)
- Bar of Soap in Zip Lock Bag
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol) or Ibuprofen (Advil)
- Pepto Bismol (or generic brand because diarrhea is one of the symptoms)
- Vitamins, such as Zinc lozenges or Vitamin C
- Latex Free Gloves
- Disinfectant wipes
- Cough syrup containing Dextromethorphan
- Gallon of Water
- Fluids with electrolytes, like Gatorade and Pedialyte.
- …more. Obviously you could include more than these items. But these are just suggestions which we have come up with after looking over different information.
The following document is just 2 pages and can be printed double sided and folded in thirds. Or click here for more handouts.
Treats or Refreshments: A few people could sign up to bring desserts which start with the letters F L or U, cookies in the shape of those letters. Or even have people sign up to bring desserts made from food storage items.
Hope this works for you. Please comment if you have any suggestions or ideas on how to make this better or how you did your activity. We’d love to know how it went.